1. I have a decreed need for sleep.
2. I have much more energy than usual.
3. My thinking is speeded up.
4. I feel unusually euphoric and high.
5. I can't seem to stop talking.
6. I can't keep my mind on one thing - I jump from task to task.
7. I have a heightened interest in sex.
8. I am irritable and short-tempered.
9. I have a close blood relative who has had a serious emotional illness or problem with abusing alcohol.
10. I think about dying or killing myself.
If you answered "yes" to five or more of these questions, and you have felt this way every day for several weeks, there is a good chance you are suffering from depression and should seek a licensed mental health professional. AAP can refer you to a licensed mental health professional.
If you answered yes to question 10, you should seek help immediately, regardless of your answer to any other questions.